# Migrating to jBASE: Preparation
Updated: 11/30/2021, 7:00:45 PM
Created: 11/30/2021, 7:00:45 PM
Last Updated By: Jake Tuttle
Read Time: 2 minute(s)
Tags: conversion converting from universe converting from d3 jbase conversion
This article and accompanying video will provide you with an overview of steps and questions or a checklist to be reviewed an answered as preparation for a migration to jBASE.
- Where is it?
- It is usual to locate source in development accounts, but it may be mixed with data.
- What is it?
- Basic, Proc, Paragraphs, Macros, Scripts, Other.
- Who's is it?
- Third Party Software.
- Do you have the source code and is it readable?
- Is encryption/decryption part of the product?
- Are some programs running, but have no source?
- Do you have license to move the source?
- Where is it?
- Single account or spread over multiple accounts.
- How big is it?
- Single tape or multiple tape or network transfer.
# Security / Users
- What level of security do you want?
- Do you currently secure files at the O/S level? (Usually only available on U2 type systems)
- Do you want to secure them?
- Where are users based?
- Do you have O/S level users or one single user entry point at that level?
- Do you have multiple database users? e.g. D3 Users
- Does your application have its own users?
# Connectivity / Devices
- How do your applications use connectivity?
- Input/Output data via tcp ports?
- remote data connections? (nfs/super-qpoint)
- How do end-users and devices connect?
- Terminal Telnet/SSH connections?
- Printer connections?
- Special Device?
- How should you backup your existing system for initial transfer?
- See Restoring data section for details on your platform/database
- Consider the physical devices needed such as tape or disk space for backup files
- Consider method for transfer of backup to new platform
- How should you refresh this data during the migration process?
- Can programs and other source items altered for migration be segregated?
- How often will you be needing "refreshed" data?
- How will you transfer for the LIVE jBASE conversion?
- Consider amount of downtime needed for final transfer
- Can some historical files be restored ahead of go-live?
# Prep the new server
- Where will your jBASE source and data reside?
- The jBASE installer will install jBASE and prerequisites for it
- It is usually best to create a file system or drive specifically for the jBASE data
- Review the Security/Users section and prep the new system to match
- Be sure inter-machine connectivity and devices work with the new server
Back to Data Conversion